Several research groups are working on a broad range of projects ranging from basic science to translational studies related to important viral human pathogens, in part with the support of the Institute’s diagnostics team. The chair of virology is Professor Oliver T. Keppler, MD.
The current focus areas comprise:
- Viral persistence and immune destruction by HIV
- Viral evolution and immune evasion of SARS-CoV-2
- Antiviral strategies against HIV and SARS-CoV-2
- Species-specific aspects of innate immunity and HIV small animal model development
- Interaction of CMV with the immune system
- High-throughput screening technologies to identify virus-host interactions in human coronaviruses
- SAMHD1-dependent chemoresistance and viral replication
- National Reference Center for Retroviruses
- Bay-VOC: Molecular genetic SARS-CoV-2 surveillance network in Bavaria
- FOR-COVID: Bavarian research network on COVID-19
Our research projects are funded by the German Research Foundation (DFG), the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF), the German Center for Infection Research (DZIF), the Bavarian State Ministry of Health and Care, the Bavarian State Ministry of Science and Art, the Bavarian Research Foundation, the Wilhelm Sander Foundation, and other foundations.